The Tapestry of Culture
Rosman and Rubel
Chapter 8 Study Guide
- How do Rosman and Rubel define the economic organization of a
- What is the term for the process by which individuals
interpret cultural rules to their own advantage?
- What two other major categories of culture do Rosman and Rubel
think that economic organization is most closely aligned
- What are three major categories of subsistence level societies
as far as production is concerned?
- How would you describe each of the following for a hunting and
- manufacturing techniques
- differentiation of tasks
- How does an agricultural culture differ from a hunting and
gathering culture in terms of population and settlements?
- Why must agricultural people restrain themselves from eating
- What characterizes agricultural societies in Europe and Asia
as regards the following:
- predominant crops
- water (2 answers)
- land reuse (2 answers)
- What are four unforeseen consequences of agricultural
production listed by Rosman and Rubel?
- What kinds of animals are kept by pastoral societies?
- When a society depends almost entirely on domesticated
animals for production, what is it labeled?
- What term is used to indicate the manner in which cultural
products circulate through society?
- What are the three components of exchange?
- What is the term that relates to the direct, immediate
exchange of objects?
- What term is used to describe the simplest type of exchange
system between two sides of equal status?
- What items are ceremonially exchanged among the Abelam of New
- How does the kaiko exchange among the Maring people different
from the ritual exchange among the Abelam?
- What term is used to describe the giving away and destruction
of goods by a person among the Kwakiutl who is showing his
- Who gives and who receives yams in the urigubu exchange
system among the Trobriand Islanders?
- What is the exchange system called among the South Pacific
islanders in which red shell necklaces move in the opposite
direction from armshells?
- What is a caste in India?
- What are the two meanings of market?
- What is the basic premise of a market system?
- What does a market system depend upon?
- What did rural populations become when cities grew up in
their midst and they became tied to the cities?
- What is a market town?
- What is the basis for small- and medium-sized Chinese
businesses in Taiwan?
- In a complex capitalistic society, what stimulates production
of a product?
- What term refers to goods manufactured by someone else?
- What example of a community do Rosman and Rubel give to show
that religious beliefs can affect the nature of consumption?
- Among Jordanian elites, who does shopping?
- What term is used to refer to the replacement of one item for
another in terms of function or the reassignment of function
for one item adopted by a different culture?
http://www.bterry.com/anthropology/rosman/chapter8.htm hosted at http://bible.ovu.edu/terry/anthropology/rosman/chapter8.htm
Last updated on February 19, 2004
Page maintained by
Copyright © 2002 Bruce Terry